Robert Gordy, Brother Of Berry Gordy Died At The Age Of 91

Publish date: 2024-05-03

According to a Sunday news release from Universal Music Enterprises, recording artist, composer, and music executive Robert Louis Gordy Sr., the younger brother of Berry Gordy, the founder of Motown, passed away on Friday at his home in Marina del Rey, California, from natural causes. 

He was 91 years old at the time of his death.

According to his family, he died naturally on Friday, October 21, 2022, at his home in Marina del Rey, California.

He worked on numerous successes at Motown, got his first acting break in 1972 as a drug dealer in the film ‘Lady Sings the Blues,’ and finally took over Jobete Music Publishing, according to the press release.

Berry Gordy made a statement in the press release about the tragic death of the Detroit native.

Berry Gordy released a statement saying, ‘I am very devastated by the tragic demise of my younger brother, Robert. He was unquestionably the ideal little brother anyone could ask for. Over the years, he has astounded me with his capacity to succeed at anything he attempts or anything I throw his way. I shall miss his affection, encouragement, and devotion.’

Berry Pop Gordy Sr. and Bertha Gordy had eight children, and Robert Gordy Sr. was the youngest one of them. He was born on July 15, 1931.

With the encouragement and assistance of his brother Berry, despite having little prior experience in the publishing industry, the press statement noted that he effectively ran the business for more than 20 years.

He transformed it from being a holder of music copyrights into a successful global publishing organization.

His wife Theresa and eldest son Robert Jr. both passed away before him. 

Robert left behind his brother Berry Gordy, his three children, Roxanna Wright, Rodney Gordy, and Fuller Gordy, his close companion Pamela Davis, four grandchildren, eight great-grandchildren, and many other nieces, and nephews.

No details about his funeral have been revealed since Monday, October 24, 2022. The Motown Museum is accepting donations and flowers in his honor.

ncG1vNJzZmivp6x7t7XZmpqaZpOkunC%2Bzpucq6xdnLyzsNhmmZ6qoq56qLvRnbBo